Thursday 19 February 2009

Smoking

I always keep asking myself questions why people smoke. Is it because they want to be popular or to be seen as ‘cool’? These reasons made most of my friends who are addicted to smoking. From a young age, I always don’t want to smoke because I knew it damages your health and the smell of smoke put me off. While growing up in a household of everyone who smoke, I can see the health damages to people who I love. It even killed my grandmother.

In my eyes, smoking is not cool. But I can understand why people are addicted to smoking. It helps them to relax after a hard day or make them less stressed. I have agreed the Government decision to ban smoking in public areas for the right of non-smoker people and to prevent passive smoking. It may make some smokers to quit.

I have found some television adverts of anti-smoking campaigns’ interesting and horrendous such as the ‘Hooked’. This advert had been removed immediately because it scared children. However it doesn’t stop smokers to end their long-term addiction.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6658335.stm

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand your feelings toward smoking. I smoke my self but want to quit. Its damaging my health and it doesn’t smell to nice. Even though I see all the adverts on the stop smoking campaign i still haven’t stopped. Smoking has sadly killed my uncle, as he was a heavy smoker for years. I have only been smoking for a 18 months, I don’t know why I started to be honest, maybe could my friends smoke, its socially accepted and some of my family smoke as well. I'm glad the smoking ban came into power in 2007, as people who don't smoke won’t have to suffer from the effects of passive smoking.

    ReplyDelete